• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

Aigh I don't like either ladies but come on, you just described what Madonna and Britney do, Britney used to do 1500 crunches a day not to mention other ab workouts just to prepare for her tours, even MJ said she was the hardest working person he's ever seen, she used to promote like cray. I seen her schedule once for like 2003 and she was booked out every day and I ain't exaggerating. It's pretty obvious Britney and Madonna now have different priorities than Beyonce does, they accomplished more at a faster pace and fame got the better of one just like it did to Amy.

And just because one sings with a backing track doesn't make them inferior to the other (given they actually perform) cause Britney was a much better dancer than Beyonce ever will be lol. Plus I am pretty sure Britney wrote every song on her new album and most of them on another album I don't care to remember. Anyway it's well known to the public that some producer let it slip that Beyonce buys a lot of her writing credits or changes one word to a song and wants writing credits for switching a word or line around, and her father used to be a member of the Grammy committee so guess where all those awards came from? Yea Beyonce works hard but that doesn't mean the other two do not. Actually I only recently read that Britney is rehearsing over 8 hours a day for her new Vegas residency.

I'm sure they do work hard, I didn't actually say that they didn't, to be fair, but that doesn't mean either of them are as talented as Beyonce. My point was that Beyonce sings and dances at the same time, she's an all-round performer, which takes a lot of hardwork to pull off. She's clearly a much stronger vocalist than either Britney or Madonna ever were, I don't think even the most hardcore Britney or Madonna fan would deny that. Britney's star quality doesn't exactly come in her singing voice. She's a popstar before an actual vocalist or anything.

By the way, I still love a lot of Britney's songs, she has a knack for picking a great tune and a great ear for producers. She's a great popstar, but I wouldn't be under any illusions about her. I agree with Elsie too, she's not what she used to be either.
"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#32 Jmoney

Jmoney

Mr. Magic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

@Elsie haven't listened tbh and I don't plan on it, plus if will.i.ams involved it prob is shit cause his new stuff all kinds of wack, he hasn't done anything decent in many years and yea Britney's a shit performer nowadays but her "work ethic" was more phenomenal than beyonces and she never used to have to rely on Collabs besides the Madonna shit for a hit, she could at least stand on her own two feet

@WhoDat well everyone knows that Britney and Madonna are weaker singers lol that's why I didn't mention vocals and instead focused on the pros cause IMO Britney's prime outruns beyonce by a mile but of course that's all a matter of opinion

Edited by Jmoney, 23 December 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#33 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 02:43 AM

@Elsie haven't listened tbh and I don't plan on it, plus if will.i.ams involved it prob is shit cause his new stuff all kinds of wack, he hasn't done anything decent in many years and yea Britney's a shit performer nowadays but her "work ethic" was more phenomenal than beyonces and she never used to have to rely on Collabs besides the Madonna shit for a hit, she could at least stand on her own two feet

@WhoDat well everyone knows that Britney and Madonna are weaker singers lol that's why I didn't mention vocals and instead focused on the pros cause IMO Britney's prime outruns beyonce by a mile but of course that's all a matter of opinion

It's all a matter of taste, of course. Sure, Britney may not have done many collabs with other performers, but she got and continues to get a lot of help in the studio with regards to her voice and most of the credit for her sound has to go to her producers. She'd be nothing without the array of great producers she has working for her. It's the same thing that people used to say about Janet Jackson - great popstar and all, but benefited hugely from the producers at her disposal. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were probably the real musical talents behind Janet Jackson, but she was the face of it, she was the one with the star quality who didn't have the strongest voice, but had the look and could dance. Similarly with Britney, she has the likes of The Neptunes to thank. Personally I wouldn't place Britney above Beyonce at any point, prime or not, based on what I was saying before - Beyonce is a much better vocalist, who sings live and dances at the same time. I just think she's a more accomplished all-round performer. Her new album is pretty great too, to be fair, and the release of it was a stroke of genius on her part. The no publicity thing was like a publicity stunt in itself.

This is neither here nor there though, really. I fear this is getting terribly off topic.

Just wondering, does anyone know if Amy ever had singing lessons?

Edited by WhoDat, 25 December 2013 - 02:54 AM.

"They laughed when I said I was going to become a comedian. Well, they're not laughing now." - Bob Monkhouse

#34 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

I agree that Beyonce has a stronger singing voice, but from what I understand she does rely somewhat on help during her live shows, because they're so action-packed, and there was that 'scandal' of her lipsynching at Obama's inauguration. I would be willing to see fewer special effects, pyrotechnics and less dancing and more live singing in those kind of shows. What happened to just paying money to see someone sing, now it's all about the Show (lights, costumes, etc.)...

Anyway, Amy did get singing lessons during her stint at Sylvia Young Theatre School: http://www.sylviayou...=Singing&pid=93

#35 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:29 PM

I agree that Beyonce has a stronger singing voice, but from what I understand she does rely somewhat on help during her live shows, because they're so action-packed, and there was that 'scandal' of her lipsynching at Obama's inauguration. I would be willing to see fewer special effects, pyrotechnics and less dancing and more live singing in those kind of shows. What happened to just paying money to see someone sing, now it's all about the Show (lights, costumes, etc.)...

Anyway, Amy did get singing lessons during her stint at Sylvia Young Theatre School: http://www.sylviayou...=Singing&pid=93

Wasn't the Obama inauguration thing due to the fact that she didn't get a chance to rehearse with the orchestra beforehand and didn't want to take a risk that might end up sounding really messy? After all, the inauguration is meant to be about the president, not the singer, and you want to make sure that it all passes without incident.

I totally agree that seeing a great singer just stand there and sing is way better, but some artists are all about the show too. Like, people like Beyonce and Britney are more than just singers. They're popstars. Michael Jackson was the same. It's as much about the show as it is about the music. And I'm pretty sure Beyonce does sing live pretty much all the time. It's pretty easy to tell when someone is singing live and when they're not. I'd like to hear her strip it back more often though. She has the chops to pull it off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnFWzq4c3VI

Was Amy expelled from that school or did she just drop out? I wonder did she get much out of the experience there. She didn't seem like one to follow rules or do what she was told!

#36 TBR

TBR

I still wonder 'bout the things you do

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:42 PM

Was Amy expelled from that school or did she just drop out? I wonder did she get much out of the experience there. She didn't seem like one to follow rules or do what she was told!

Amy herself said she was kicked out but both Janis and Sylvia Young said Mitch and Janis took her out of school there. I can't remember which version Amy, My Daughter goes along with. I'm inclined to think she got most of her singing lessons there because the impression she (and that Earth Song video) gave was that she was a solid singer before she went to the BRIT School and later when she took up with NYJO.

#37 WhoDat

WhoDat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Amy herself said she was kicked out but both Janis and Sylvia Young said Mitch and Janis took her out of school there. I can't remember which version Amy, My Daughter goes along with. I'm inclined to think she got most of her singing lessons there because the impression she (and that Earth Song video) gave was that she was a solid singer before she went to the BRIT School and later when she took up with NYJO.

Maybe it was jump before being pushed situation? That the school politely asked Janis and Mitch to send her elsewhere or she'd be expelled?

#38 socubos

socubos

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

Whats the point of discussing singer's ranges? Everybody is unique in their singing. Comparing Whitney and Amy? Seriously? Amy and Beyonce? Mariah? We talk about COMPLETELY different singers. Amy sang completely different style than the rest of the mentioned above. Amy's music doesnt require the high octave range, while Mariah/Whitney/Beyonce is required in the style they sing. Janet Jackson and Aaliyah can be compared, because they are into one style/way of singing. Whitney and Mariah also. Amy is unique, like Tina Turner for example. Innovators. They are queens in the style they are singing and there is nobody like them to be compared. Does Amy has high range.... NO. I don't think so. But boy... she was SINGER. She made miracles with her voice. She sang much more live than most of singers with higher range.

Want me be honest? My favorite singer is Whitney, and I DONT KNOW really her range, because i never cared. Whitney at the end had no range at all... I don't care Amy's range. I care about their live singing, to be on point and when i listen their music to feel their emotion. One thing i can say.. Amy and Whitney are one of the few, who can surpass the record, and sing it much better live than most of the singers.

I miss them....

#39 HelloSailor

HelloSailor

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

Wow, calm your horses Socubos, wondering how many octaves Amy's voice had is a perfectly legit question to ask. Of course, no one is arguing that so and so is a better singer because they have a bigger range. By your logic, we shouldn't be wondering how tall Amy was, because all that counts is that she was beautiful. We're entitled to be curious about Amy and to discuss these facts.

#40 socubos

socubos

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:30 AM

Wow, calm your horses Socubos, wondering how many octaves Amy's voice had is a perfectly legit question to ask. Of course, no one is arguing that so and so is a better singer because they have a bigger range. By your logic, we shouldn't be wondering how tall Amy was, because all that counts is that she was beautiful. We're entitled to be curious about Amy and to discuss these facts.

I try to make a point, im calm. People read too much into ranges. Its the technique, not the range. U can have Mariah's voice, but still can't sing. I dont say its wrong to ask for ranges, but i think its too pointless.
Yes thats what it count. Even if Amy was shorter would it change your mind ad love towards Amy? No...
Amy was better singer than most with bigger ranges.

#41 Birdieava

Birdieava

Never miss a night

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

this is much like discussing dancers, no?. the best dancers are not always the most flexible. except for the occasional omg omg , nobody really talks about stuff like that. cuz it really doesnt matter. the best dancers are the ones who dance the best :stupid:

if you want to hear the best voice acrobatics, you know where to go: listen to Mariah. in all her range and glory.
But she's never made me feel anything! I think her singing is kindda ridiculous. Whitney has touched my heart many times ... and Amy too,,,, so deeply all the time. Isn't that what singing should be about? The feelings the singer can convey?
We can compare singers, but there are so many styles, and some singers do other things, like dancing, jumping, flying, changing costumes and wigs thirty times, etc. so if we narrow it down to range, amy didnt have a big range. so what?!

At least now for general education we are prepared to talk about ranges tho! at least i know that 7 or 8 octaves is like, impossible! lol.

"I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."

- Anais Nin 

#42 SarahMermaid

SarahMermaid

I said, "No, No, No"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

this is much like discussing dancers, no?. the best dancers are not always the most flexible. except for the occasional omg omg , nobody really talks about stuff like that. cuz it really doesnt matter. the best dancers are the ones who dance the best :stupid:

if you want to hear the best voice acrobatics, you know where to go: listen to Mariah. in all her range and glory.
But she's never made me feel anything! I think her singing is kindda ridiculous. Whitney has touched my heart many times ... and Amy too,,,, so deeply all the time. Isn't that what singing should be about? The feelings the singer can convey?
We can compare singers, but there are so many styles, and some singers do other things, like dancing, jumping, flying, changing costumes and wigs thirty times, etc. so if we narrow it down to range, amy didnt have a big range. so what?!

At least now for general education we are prepared to talk about ranges tho! at least i know that 7 or 8 octaves is like, impossible! lol.

i agree with you on Mariah! She does nothing for me. She's the kind of singer that's like ' look at how many things i can do with my voice in 3 minutes'. over the top and soulless! i call singers like that 'show off' singers. As for ones like brit, madonna or kylie..i'll stick to how Amy described them.. 'show ponies'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users