11 replies to this topic

#1 Yuni13eunice

Yuni13eunice

Yuni,Yuni,Yuni&Yuni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

There is a little information on Cynthia. All I know is according to Mitch that she was very important person for Amy and influenced her a lot. I remember that Mitch mentioned in one interview that Amy will listen to Cynthia when she is told what to do. For most of us know that Cynthia died in sometime 2006; so my question is did Cynthia recognized that Amy's behavior has changed in that time period when she broke up with Blake. For example her drinking habits and eating habit? I have always wondering about that.

#2 Guest_theguiltwillkillyou_*

Guest_theguiltwillkillyou_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

I think Amy's behavior changed when Cynthia die. I think that if Cynthia would still alive, Amy would be here too. There is a documental where Mitch cries in the cementery of Cynthia. Since we're on the topic of translations, I also have a request. Anyone know the exactly day Cynthia died? Was before Back to Black (2006) or after? I heard Cynthia was jzz musician and dated Ronnie Scot

#3 Yuni13eunice

Yuni13eunice

Yuni,Yuni,Yuni&Yuni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:54 AM

That is what I thought as well; if Cynthia is still alive Amy would be too. And where did you see that documental that Mitch cries in cemetery?... But are you sure it's Cynthia's? Heard that she was cremated alike Amy's. I have no idea on what day Cynthia died but someone in this website mentions that she died sometime in the middle of 2006 so a year before Amy got famous. By the way I think I have found the answer why Cynthia didn't recognized Amy's changed behavior according to the interview Mitch gave based on his family disease. Here is the article http://www.macmillan...rview.aspxhttp:

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

http://www.macmillan...einterview.aspx

#4 Mrs. Jones

Mrs. Jones

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

Not sure when her grandmother died.

I remember reading somewhere that Ronnie Scott wrote about Cynthia in his autobiography, and that he left her because she wanted to get married before having sex.

I've found one article where they talk about her http://www.theweek.c...d-key-her-death , but that's not the one I came across before.

Has anyone read Ronnie Scott's autobiography?

---------- Post added at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

haha, this site is hilarious http://www.myheritag...chell-winehouse

It's got Ronnie Scott listed as Mitch's dad :glee:

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 AM ----------

In the documentry Mitch did about Amy, you see him crying at the grave of his father and his uncle who both died quite young (in their 4Os I think).

Considering Amy's tattoo of Cynthia is the first one she got (after Blake pocket), I would say she died in early 2006. I seem to remember seeing pictures of Amy with all her tattoos already by the (end of?) summer of 2006. And she actually became famous before 2007, her album B2B came out in the fall of 2006.

#5 Katausa

Katausa

♥ Kat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:02 AM

I remember reading somewhere on a gossip site that Cynthia died in early '06, I thought it was February?

" If I died tomorrow, I would be a happy girl. " - Amy

#6 crol

crol

i'm not ashamed, but the guilt will kill you

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Cynthia passed away early 06, but the Cynthia tattoo was done mid 2005.

#7 Yuni13eunice

Yuni13eunice

Yuni,Yuni,Yuni&Yuni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

Whoa! The article they talked about Cynthia's and Amy's belief in the power of tarot send the chill. I have posted on other post when someone wants to translate the spanish article that Daphne talks about Amy. Daphne mentioned that Amy was struggling reading her tarot card and asked Amy if she can see her future she responds that her Nana knew how to read them and Daphne asked if she wants to do the tarot reading since Cynthia is gone. Amy respond that nana knew and she cannot see her future. Holy crap! This is really bizarre; Cynthia already knew the fate of Amy.

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

This is what I posted:
In my perspective I think Daphne offered some important hints in this article about Amy's life. Whether it's true or not but I would accept that she might offer some truths in her article.

Daphne mentions in the article that she had a close conversation with Janis;

Amy's mum: "Since when she was a baby, she always had near death experiences. If we left her alone for a second she will find a way to hurt herself. She is always like this.
That might be true since Amy's parents mentioned that Amy nearly choked to death with cellophane when she was a baby.

Lastly this truly spooked me; Daphne mentions in her article that the image she had for that day when she was with Amy torments her;

Daphne: The day when Amy hugged me while she was attempted to read the tarots cards in a frustrated state; "My nana Cynthia knew how to read tarot." Amy told Daphne. Daphne asked Amy if she wants to know about her future since that Cynthia is not with them. "My nana knew... I don't see nothing" Amy murmured.

#8 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Amy's mum: "Since when she was a baby, she always had near death experiences. If we left her alone for a second she will find a way to hurt herself. She is always like this.
That might be true since Amy's parents mentioned that Amy nearly choked to death with cellophane when she was a baby.

That's exactly why you don't leave a baby alone for a second especially with cellophane around... LOL Babies get into stuff! So from the start it was thought amy was trouble?! I see.

#9 Yuni13eunice

Yuni13eunice

Yuni,Yuni,Yuni&Yuni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

So considering that she is going through hell in the late of 2005; she need to record the songs meaning she recorded during late 2005 that is when Cynthia is still alive. Because I heard that B2B album released in October of 2006 so Amy went through heavily drinking and depression during the time period of 2005. So I am just curious what Cynthia had done during that time frame but considering the interview that Mitch gave about his family cancer history that Cynthia was under of the influence to sedate her; that clearly explains that Cynthia was not herself and cannot recognize Amy's state of mind and physically.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

That's exactly why you don't leave a baby alone for a second especially with cellophane around... LOL Babies get into stuff! So from the start it was thought amy was trouble?! I see.

I know but why would Janis said that? I guess there is more than cellophane incident thing. I don't know maybe she meant about her overdoses thing. I don't know but if I had a child I wouldn't say that.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

I know but why would Janis said that? I guess there is more than cellophane incident thing. I don't know maybe she meant about her overdoses thing. I don't know but if I had a child I wouldn't say that.

Or perhaps Daphne misinterpreted Janis's words

---------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

More details about Cynthia's role in Amy's life:

The only member of the family who could curb Amy’s wilfulness was Mitch’s mother, Cynthia, whom she called Nan. A charismatic Jewish matriarch from the East End (the teenage sweetheart of the jazz trumpeter Ronnie Scott), “Cynthia was the one person who could make Amy behave and who she would really listen to,” says Nick Godwyn. When he first met Winehouse, the only tattoo she wore was one of a lady jazz singer on her arm, inscribed Cynthia. Though the Winehouses weren’t particularly religious, every Friday night the family would meet in Nan’s house for the traditional weekly Jewish dinner, complete with chicken soup. According to a family friend who occasionally attended, Nan would usually send Amy off to wash up at the end of the meal. Sometimes she would also get her granddaughter to give her a pedicure: “Amy loved that.” These dinners continued until Nan fell ill in 2005.
It was Cynthia’s idea for Amy to go to stage school, starting her at the age of nine at Susi Earnshaw’s Saturday-morning class in Barnet. She showed some promise as a dancer, but not much, initially, as a singer. In her first pop group, a rap duo called Sweet and Sour, which she formed with her friend Juliette, 11-year-old Amy was the shouty, sour one. Hearing her off-key singing as a 13-year-old in a school play, Mitch recalls saying to her mother, Janis: “Thank God she can dance!” Whether it was her attentive listening to the old jazz records at home, or a simple case of late development, in three years Winehouse had blossomed as a jazz singer, left Sylvia Young, and become a vocalist with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra. Janis burst into tears when she first heard her daughter sing the Sinatra standard The Nearness of You. Her boyfriend at the time, the singer Tyler James, took a tape of her songs to his manager, Nick Godwyn, a lynchpin of Simon Fuller’s 19 organisation. Godwyn was impressed, and not just with her voice. “Amy was this very groovy and knowledgeable hip-hop fan who also knew all the jazz greats, from Billie Holiday to Thelonious Monk. She was plump and kind of sassy. She had a unique style.”
Word of Winehouse’s remarkable talent got around the music industry even before she signed a record contract in 2002. When she flew to Miami to meet the top R&B producer Salaam Remi, whose previous clients had included the Fugees, Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes and Ms Dynamite, he was staggered by the maturity of her 18-year-old voice. “When she walked in and sang The Girl from Ipanema the whole room lit up,” Remi recalls. “She didn’t need a microphone or any production, she had it all within her.” Winehouse later returned to Miami to record her first album, called Frank after Sinatra, whose name she’d embroidered on her ripped jeans. Remi found her “really decisive. She doesn’t need to do a lot of takes. From the jump, she was one of the best singers I have ever worked with in the studio”.
With the six-figure advance she received from Island Records and EMI Publishing, Winehouse bought a flat in Camden, a buzzing magnet for aspirant cool cats that was handily situated, for an East Finchley girl, only five stops away on the Northern line. Winehouse rapidly became a fixture in Camden’s pubs and bars. Godwyn says: “Amy loved the Camden set because they weren’t flash. She loved the earthy, Bohemian feel of the place.” She particularly idolised Camden’s patron saint of pop cool, Pete Doherty. “She thought he was a genius.” You can, as Godwyn puts it, “buy anything walking down that high street”, and the easy availability of drugs was another aspect of Camden that Winehouse liked. According to her father, Amy had been using cannabis from the age of 15; it encouraged her boho, otherworldly leanings. Godwyn says: “Amy had that old jazz notion that you turned up somewhere, played a set for a few drinks in front of some friends, and then went home. She didn’t seem to know what money was.” A typical example of this occurred in March 2004 when she played an impromptu gig in the basement of Pizza Express jazz club in Soho, accompanied by a scratch trio and, for a couple of numbers, her father, Mitch, on vocals.
Around this time she started seeing Fielder-Civil. Having dumped wimpy Chris, she was now sharing her flat with her old flame, Tyler James. It wasn’t an entirely platonic arrangement. “I’ve been in love with T since I was a kid. We keep each other on our toes,” she said. But Blake’s similarly freewheeling, noncommittal attitude bothered her. In an interview she gave in June 2004, she talked about “this man I’ve been involved with who has other commitments. And I do get jealous.” She also admitted that she was on the lookout for some distress to kickstart her songwriting. “It sounds such a wank thing to say, but I need to get some headaches goin’ to write about.”
A year later, Winehouse had headaches and heartaches to spare. The appearance of the name “Blake” tattooed above her left *** coincided with a period of violent mood swings, drink and drug binges, and dramatic weight loss. 2005 turned into her lost year. “Amy was in a dark place,” one associate remembers. “I don’t know whether she was actually anorexic or bulimic, but the drugs were definitely making it easier for her not to eat.” The point at which Godwyn, with the agreement of her parents, tried to get her to seek help in the autumn of 2005 marked a low from which Winehouse promptly rebounded, creatively recharged, to write and record Back to Black.
When she returned to Miami in 2006, the producer Salaam Remi noticed that she had shrunk in size but found her just as switched on as she’d been three years previously. “Amy sat in my back garden with her guitar for 10 days and wrote half the album right there. She basically finished a song a day. And the entire time she was with me, there was no drinking or drugging at all.” And, lest we forget, there was no Blake, either. Her manager, Raye Cosbert, says the album “just poured out of her, like a tidal wave”.
The completion and release of Back to Black ought to have been a joyous time for Winehouse. That it didn’t turn out that way was largely due to the death in the summer of 2006 of her grandmother from lung cancer. Amy’s family believe it was the loss of Nan and her restraining influence – and in particular those normalising, chore-laden Friday-night dinners – that has precipitated Amy’s free fall into addiction. Mitch says: “Cynthia was more like a best friend to Amy. She kept her feet on the ground. After she went, there’s nobody who she’ll listen to. She certainly won’t listen to me.”
As Back to Black went supernova, and her nine-month affair with Alex Claire wound down, Winehouse resumed her stormy relationship with Blake Fielder-Civil in February 2007.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

According to this article Cynthia died in the summer of 2006

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

This is partly article.. If interested to keep reading more here is the link http://amywinehouse....x?PageIndex=137

#10 Amy Jenna Harper

Amy Jenna Harper

Amy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:38 PM

Amy's grand mother died in 2006,she says about in an interview in 2006.

One name,one word : Amy <3
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#11 DARE TO BE D

DARE TO BE D

You Know I'm No Good

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

i think Amy lost not only her grandmother but a best friend when Cynthia passed. Since she was in the business she had stories/experiences
to share with her and that her mother couldnt . if you notice the tattoo she has of her is the largest ( she wanted everyone to see it)
when she poses for pictures she put that arm out so everyone can see it. i think no one in her life replaced or rather came close to filling that hole in her heart when she lost her. And a lost of a loved one so close to you will change your perspective on life, it sometimes jades you and no amount of $$, fame can fill that loss. I know Amy is now with her . 2 beautiful angels in the sky talking
Jazz & men..:heart:

#12 amylove

amylove

<3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

Updating this thread with her birth & death dates:

October 21, 1927 - May 5, 2006 (aged 78)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users